It is official! I have transferred all posts in which I reviewed bars in and around DC to a new location: http://barhoppydc.com. I began blogging 4 years ago reviewing bars, because I found no reliable source that would acknowledge the value of deals, dives and drafts (the great triumvirate!). I'm breathing some new life into barhoppydc, please consider stopping by to check it out.
So I got Invisalign on Wednesday. I’ve been thinking about it for years, saving for years, and been to at least 4 different consultations (sometimes with the same Orthodontist). I finally found the “right fit” ortho., and now I’m wearing my trays. Here are my first thoughts:
They are hard as a MF to get on and off my top teeth, which is where the most movement is happening. I say MF, because underneath my fingernails is sore from trying to pry them off. Ouch. I equate it to when you first get contacts, and it takes you 20 min. to get them on and off properly… but then 1 yr later you’re a master. Maybe one day getting these trays off won’t be such a B.
My teeth don’t hurt at all, and I don’t have a lisp, and no one at work has even noticed I’m wearing them. So what you hear about that is totally true.
If you are struggling with weight, you should totally get Invisalign! Not really, that’d be a hella-expensive diet… but it does have diet factors, those being:
- Its too big of a pain in the ass to get these trays in and out beyond breakfast, lunch and dinner, so there is no snacking. And if you DO snack, you’re supposed to go take out the trays, snack, then brush your teeth and put them back in. Really makes you think twice about having a handful of trail mix.
- You are only supposed to drink clear liquid (water) while wearing your trays. No coffee, no soda, not even white wine. Because, again, you have to go through the whole rigmarole and I’m not skilled enough with my trays yet. But it’s an easy way to start drinking those 8 cups of water you’re supposed to be drinking anyways, right?
- Once my trays go in, they stay in, until its meal time. No going back.
That’s my report for now. In 1.5 weeks I have to put a new tray in, and I will let you know how that goes. Hopefully it’ll still be sort of tricky so I don’t stay a little piggy forever :) Kidding, again.
A long over-do hello! Found this great article via twitter, and thought I’d share.
The article, “How to Find your Freelance Confidence Today”, is obviously geared more towards those employed in freelance… but any article about confidence and life management is always good to read, no matter what your employment situation or job is.
My favorite part, which is something I think everyone should do (if you don’t already):
Your compliments file–Every freelancer should keep a compliments file. These are comments (emails, tweets, wall posts, etc.) that others make about you that you find to be uplifting.
I picked up this really great life-tip from my freshmen year college RA. As an RA (a job I also held later on), you deal with a lot of ups-and-downs. She had a manilla envelope of all the positive feedback, nice personal notes, and in general kind words she had received. Whenever life got her down, she just read herself a few items from the envelope, placed them back in, and felt so much better about herself.
I keep a folder in my email dedicated to positive feedback — it works wonders on tough days!
Last Tuesday I started taking a class at my local (and quite awesome) fibre store, Fibre Space. I would say I’m a completely average knitter, in that I can knit, purl, increase, decrease, knit in the round, etc — but I’ve always wanted to knit Fair Isle*. My friend and I signed up for a class, and I have to say it isn’t as overwhelming as I thought it would be. In this class we’re knitting some fingerless mitten, and the Fiar Isle pattern is very simple and repetitive. I will update you guys once I’ve finished the mittens — I’ve almost got one complete already!
Greetings! Freshly back from the beach in NC, I’ve been thrown into the fire at work, left with little time to even think about posting! In the meantime, I thought I’d share how much Murphy enjoyed his first beach vacation — LOVE would be an understatement.
Murphy’s top 5 favorite things about the beach/vacation:
- Getting to watch the babies and small children from the comfortable shade of an umbrella, and barking at them whenever they got out of line.
- Digging in the wet sand, for more wet sand.
- Getting slapped in the butt by a wave when digging in said wet sand.
- Spending 9 days in a row with humans 24-7!
- Being fed table scraps from grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins. Tim and I sick closely to veggies and fruits, Murphy went into vacuum mode and was always in the kitchen if anyone was in there.
Day 26: A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument: Weezer “Undone (Sweater Song)”
I used to be able to play this. And by play, I mean I could play the four notes, slowly, but correctly. I thought this was more interesting than some trombone solo I played for the Solo & Ensemble festival from 8th grade.
Day 27: A Song That You Wish You Could Play: Charlie Daniel’s Band “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”
Day 28: A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty: Michael Jackson “Man in the Mirror”
If Michael Jackson is striving to be a better person, so should we all. RIP MJ, you were infinitely talented.
Day 29: A Song From Your Childhood: Stevie Wonder “Very Superstitious“
One of my favorite videos to watch and re-watch as a kid was Disney Monster Hits. I’m hoping everyone else had the pleasure of having this on VHS tape. Looking back, it is truly an awesome collection of great music:
- Michael Jackson “Thriller”
- Ray Parker, Jr. “Ghostbusters”
- CCR “Bad Moon Rising”
- Bobby Picket (ft. The Crypt-Kickers) “Monster Mash”
- Rockwell “Somebody’s Watching Me”
- The Electric Light Orchestra “Evil Woman”
- Pat Benatar “You Better Run”
- Spike Jones & His City Slickers “That Old Black Magic”
- Daryl Hall “Dreamtime”
- From The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh “Heffalumps & Woozles”
- The Eurythmics “Sweet Dreams”
Day 30: Your Favorite Song At This Time Last Year: India Arie “The Heart of the Matter”
Looks like I was listening to this a lot last year, around this time. Can’t remember my actual favorite, so this will work just fine.. It was in the god-awful movie, Sex In the City 2 Soundtrack. That being said, I do adore the cover of this song.
There. We’re finally done with this epic list that took waaaaaaay to long to answer.